Therapeutic Recreation Internship
We offer a 15 week internship through Imagine!'s Therapeutic Recreation (TR) division, supervised by a Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS) and guided by the National Council of Therapeutic Recreation Certification (NCTRC) standards. This internship is designed to provide students with a professional, educational, and enjoyable experience in a positive environment. This division of Imagine! offers quality TR services in a community based setting to individuals with developmental disabilities. Acceptance of student interns is dependent on available supervisors. An interview is required prior to acceptance.
Imagine! strives to ensure that individuals with developmental disabilities have the necessary accommodations and supports to engage in community based activities. Interns will have the opportunity to work in a variety of specialized recreation programs that are designed for the specific needs of those we serve. Interns will work closely with the therapeutic team to gain knowledge of our service delivery process. Interns will provide participant support and provide group leadership under the supervision of a CTRS.
Goals of Internship
- Provide the opportunity for students to be an integral member of the Imagine! team.
- Provide the opportunity for students to work with a variety of programs and populations.
- Provide the opportunity for students to access and utlize a variety of community resources and facilities.
- Provide the opportunity for students to enhance their leadership and professional therapeutic recreational skills.
- Provide the opportunity for students to develop skills in documentation and facilitation of classes.
- Must be seeking or obtaining a degree in Therapeutic Recreation or Recreation Management.
- Must have completed all TR coursework and other school requirements.
- Must complete in full the multiple-step TR Internship Application.
- Must possess a current driver's license, clean driving record, and personal health insurance.
- Must strive to help individuals who have a wide range of abilities at indoor and outdoor settings to positively impact their life in the following domains: social, emotional, cognitive, spiritual, and physical.
- Must maintain professional communication with staff, volunteers, participants, families, and providers.
- Must be flexible, creative, and adaptable with any given situation.
- Must be able to consistently lift, carry, and load 50+ pounds.
Interns will have the opportunity to gain knowledge in the following areas, but not limited to:
- Program planning / special project
- Driving and operating a vehicle with a lift
- Computer based documentation
- Assistive Technology
- Professional meetings
- $350 monthly stipend / $1050 total
- All training is inclusive and paid for by Imagine!.
Application Due Date
Internship Start Date
Last week in May